Sunday 2 October 2011

Drift Line Sand Patterns.

Although I've mainly been filming natural generated elements of nature, this is the first time that I managed to capture distinct transient pattern formations which are clearly visible in a linear fashion.

While I previously have been experimenting colourising and adding more visual effects afterwards, I didn't do that with this video. I  played around with the audio and added sound effects, but I found the focus on the visuals quite captivating without no sound.




I think it's fascinating that drift line sand patterns are quite similar to patterns found in the desert, only the patterns in the desert occur without the tides of the ocean waves. These patterns also appear more vein like towards the end of the video. This also coincides with an earlier post exploring the ideas of a mathematician called Benoit Mandelbrot:  Looking at how natural fractals in the world form the shapes of mountains, coastlines and river basins; the structures of plants, blood vessels and lungs. Click here for the link to that post.

Below are some photos that I also took on the same day. At the moment I now feel that my visual research is becoming very similar to my studio practise.


Image2

Image3


Image1

CIMG1019

CIMG1023

CIMG1024

CIMG1022

CIMG1032

CIMG1029

CIMG1011

No comments:

Post a Comment